Walking has many reasons why it goes together with running. It doesn't matter if you are a new or an experienced runner. Below are some suggestions on how to integrate walking into you training, and the benefits.
1. Warm Up Loosen up your body before your run. You are going to have tight muscles and walking will increase the blood flow.
2. Recovery Walking is great to do after you finish your run! Take a 5-10 minute walk at an easy pace to relax your legs. Make sure you stretch after the walk.
3. Pacing Ever go out too fast on your run and pay for it later? That would probably be a yes for most of us. Instead of giving up on your run completely, take a walk break first to slow your breathing down and get yourself back into good form.
4. Weather When you have a run in hot weather integrating walk breaks will make your run a lot safer for your body. Everyone's run slows down in the hot temperature.
5. Long Run Anyone else have trouble taking in food and their drink while on their long run? A short 30-60 walk is a great way to get your nutrition and recover!